Artifacts are a special type of weapon that can be offered to Odin to get characters. They can be equipped, but they are less useful and powerful than normal weapons, as the intent is to unlock characters. They are also used to strengthen characters in different ways.
Some are obtained through events, while others are obtained via the weapon gacha.
Note: There will sometimes be weapons in the gacha that look similar to the artifact. The actual artifact will have a shiny blueish background on the icon and pop up an image of the character when you get it.
Offering an Artifact Edit
The main use of artifacts is an exchange for the related character for your party. For this, the artifact should be offered to Odin. Every character can be obtained only once. Here is how to do so:
1. Get artifact to max level. All artifacts from the gacha come at max level so there is no need to level them. But artifacts from events like Valhalla Assault are usually given at level 1 and need to be leveled to max level first. There is no limit breaks for artifact weapons, so max level is lower than for the same rarity normal weapons.
Artifacts cannot be leveled by normal means - you can only level them using Copper, Iron, or Bronze Rings earned from events (some tower-style events offer them as rewards, and they can be purchased from Valhalla Assault event booths using Odin Medals as well).
To level an artifact from level 1 to level 10 will take:
- 8 Wood Rings,
- 1 Iron Ring + 3 Wood Rings, or
- 1 Bronze Ring
This assumes you do not get any critical successes. You may be able to use fewer rings if you use one ring at a time and get critical successes on some of the enhancements.
2. Follow the path Equipment -> Item List -> Examine/Tribute Artifacts. Note that this is the Equipment button at the bottom of the screen, not 'Upgrade Equipment.'
3. Select the artifact and offer it to Odin by selecting the button at the bottom. Then select the red button on the right to confirm that you want to offer it. The final image is confirmation that the artifact has been offered successfully, and means the quest to obtain the character has been unlocked. It will be found in the Side Quests list accessible from the game's Top Menu.
Aside from the primary use of obtaining characters, there are other ways to utilize additional copies of the same artifact. Valhalla Defense and collaboration characters' artifacts sometimes may not allow all of the listed uses.
- Getting a character's Exclusive Orb. Exclusive orbs are character-specific orbs that give a significant boost to character stats and can even offer additional utility. Character can deal up to 50% more damage with this orb equipped. The exact number varies by character. The orb can be equipped only by the related character. Only one exclusive orb for any character can be obtained in the game. There are also no other ways to get exclusive orbs for gacha characters.
Exclusive orbs are obtained via the permanent Exchange Booth: Inventory -> Exchange Booth -> scroll to the bottom of the list to find required booth. Clicking on "Exchangeable items" lets you find the right orb faster.
- Unlocking additional normal attacks. Artifacts can be used instead of 10 Yggdrasil Branches to add attacks via Character Potential Boards. This requires 1 artifact for each additional attack for 3 more attacks at max.
- Increasing Hero Value. If the character can give a Sealstone it's possible to use 1 AF to increase their Hero Value (HV) by 10 points. When the HV reaches 100 points you get the sealstone. HV points can also be received via value seal items (available as event rewards) or for free by clearing stages with this character in the party, so this is usually not recommended unless you already have the character's Exclusive Orb and have plenty of spare artifacts for some reason.
- Getting Mirror Fragments. As with all 3★+ weapons, artifacts can be exchanged for Mirror Fragments. 1 AF gives 500 Mirror Fragments. Usually it's not worth it.
- Getting Yggdrasil Branches. All artifacts can be exchanged for 2 Yggdrasil Branches. As it takes 10 branches or 1 AF to unlock additional attack it's rarely worth it.